Return to Shaw Shipping Front Page

Camborne

W.C.Paynter and Co., Amlwch 1884

118gt. 93ft.

Camborne by Eric Aldridge

Purchased by Hugh Shaw and Lewis Aldridge in 1922 originally powered by a Widdop auxiliary but this was replaced  with a Lilloise de Moteurs 4cyl Oil engine in the early 1940's   Sold by Hugh in 1948.


Lloyds register of 1952 shows her as CARMMARY Registered in Malta and owned by The Mediterranian Trading Shipping Company. She was broken up in 1960

 Camborne on the Gloucester 

 - Sharpness Ship Canal

Camborne in Victoria Basin,

Gloucester Dock

Haine and Corry building, behind.

Line Drawing of Camborne by

Peter Stuckey

Extract from Coastwise Sail by  John Anderson

published July 1948 

Camborne first put to sea as a three-masted topsail schooner, but her yards have long since disappeared and she now trades as a three- masted fore-and-aft auxiliary schooner. Camborne was built of wood at Amlwch in 1884 and measures 118 tons gross with dimensions of 93·2' x 22·5' x 10·1', altogether a really handy size of coaster. At first she voyaged far and wide and made many smart passages. In 1922 she was sold to Captain Shaw of Gloucester and later converted to an auxiliary schooner, trading for many a year between the Bristol Channel and various small ports in Ireland, with but few mishaps. She kept her foreyard for many years but with the passing of time her rig has been gradually cut-down and her engine power has gradually been increased. At the end of the recent war Captain Shaw gave up his interest in sailing craft and purchased ·a modern diesel-driven coaster, selling his schooners to other owners. Camborne is still employed in the Irish Sea trade and, a few months ago, on a passage from Port Talbot to Waterford, she sprang a leak and had to put into Milford for repairs. 


Extract from Ships Nostalgia  contributor “Historicus”


The CAMBORNE received a new engine in 1940. She was sold by capt.Shaw in 1947 to the Mediterranean Trading Shipping Co.Ld., Malta, and renamed CARMMARY.She left Plymouth for Malta on July 15th.,1947. With engine trouble she put into Gijon and sailed again on August 15. Afterwards she put into Bona (Algeria) leaking. In Malta she was surveyed. She then traded between such ports as Malta, Tobruk, Benghazi, Derna, etc... until broken up.

Return to Shaw Shipping Front Page

Camborne

W.C.Paynter and Co., Amlwch 1884

118gt. 93ft.

Camborne by Eric Aldridge

Purchased by Hugh Shaw and Lewis Aldridge in 1922 originally powered by a Widdop auxiliary but this was replaced  with a Lilloise de Moteurs 4cyl Oil engine in the early 1940's   Sold by Hugh in 1948.


Lloyds register of 1952 shows her as CARMMARY Registered in Malta and owned by The Mediterranian Trading Shipping Company. She was broken up in 1960

 Camborne on the Gloucester 

 - Sharpness Ship Canal

Camborne in Victoria Basin,

Gloucester Dock

Haine and Corry building, behind.

Line Drawing of Camborne by

Peter Stuckey

Extract from Coastwise Sail by  John Anderson

published July 1948 

Camborne first put to sea as a three-masted topsail schooner, but her yards have long since disappeared and she now trades as a three- masted fore-and-aft auxiliary schooner. Camborne was built of wood at Amlwch in 1884 and measures 118 tons gross with dimensions of 93·2' x 22·5' x 10·1', altogether a really handy size of coaster. At first she voyaged far and wide and made many smart passages. In 1922 she was sold to Captain Shaw of Gloucester and later converted to an auxiliary schooner, trading for many a year between the Bristol Channel and various small ports in Ireland, with but few mishaps. She kept her foreyard for many years but with the passing of time her rig has been gradually cut-down and her engine power has gradually been increased. At the end of the recent war Captain Shaw gave up his interest in sailing craft and purchased ·a modern diesel-driven coaster, selling his schooners to other owners. Camborne is still employed in the Irish Sea trade and, a few months ago, on a passage from Port Talbot to Waterford, she sprang a leak and had to put into Milford for repairs. 


Extract from Ships Nostalgia  contributor “Historicus”


The CAMBORNE received a new engine in 1940. She was sold by capt.Shaw in 1947 to the Mediterranean Trading Shipping Co.Ld., Malta, and renamed CARMMARY.She left Plymouth for Malta on July 15th.,1947. With engine trouble she put into Gijon and sailed again on August 15. Afterwards she put into Bona (Algeria) leaking. In Malta she was surveyed. She then traded between such ports as Malta, Tobruk, Benghazi, Derna, etc... until broken up.